The first blouse I drafted was inspired by a J. Crew top - their Embroidered Voile Top, to be exact.
What I love about this top are the raglan sleeves (read, no easing sleeve caps into armscyes) and the gathered neckline (no darts to fiddle with).
For my version of this top, I decided to go with a pleated neckline (after I made a wearable muslin with gathers). I also added a curved hemline. This top is loose-fitting enough to avoid the need for any closures. It just slips on, and is a great basic blouse for tucking into skirts and pants.
This shirt goes together very quickly with only 3 pattern pieces (front, back, sleeve). So far I have shown you two versions of this shirt, one in a stiffer cotton fabric, and the other in a more drapey silk.
The second blouse I drafted was inspired by a top from Anthropologie - The Piped Peplum blouse.
It is a lovely fitted blouse pattern with modified princess seams, which I knew would be the perfect way to minimize my wide shoulders and allow for interesting color blocking.
I drafted this pattern both with and without the peplum for maximum versatility. Because this is a more fitted blouse, it does require a back zipper. I also added an all-in-one cap sleeve to the side front and side back pattern pieces (I don't wear many sleeveless shirts, so this was a necessity). And I am still able to avoid setting in sleeves this way.
|with peplum, in a cotton voile|
|without peplum, in a shirting-weight cotton|
|without peplum, and with color/print blocking, showing off a liberty print.|
Maybe at some point I can share some of my tips and tricks to make drafting a bit less challenging and a little more exciting.