It's HERE! It's done! It took forever. And I may never make another clothing pattern ever again. Grading is not something to be taken lightly, and I make no promises that the pieces fit together perfectly (even if there are only 3). The instructions aren't perfect, but
|Anthropologie's Lengthening Rays Skirt|
Let me just remind you that this is my version of Anthropologie's "Lengthening Rays", but in real silk (silk chiffon outside, and silk lining inside). The sizing for the skirt is the same as that on BurdaStyle.
A few tips on sewing with silk:
1. use a size 8 or smaller needle. make sure it is brand new. the sharper the better, to avoid puckers.
2. be very gentle when guiding the fabric through your machine. do not pull or tug on it.
3. do all pinning within the seam allowances to avoid any permanent marks from pin holes.
4. when in doubt, sew slowly.
5. use cotton thread when sewing with silk because cotton is weaker than silk, and if there is strain at a seam, the thread will break before the fabric, making future repairs possible.
I may try to put up some photo tutorials of some of the more complicated steps, if they are requested. Please do let me know if you decide to try it! I would love feedback!
JANUARY 2017 UPDATE: I've updated the pattern slightly and wanted to include some additional details for those just finding this pattern, to save you the search through the comments below:
Note that this is not the best pattern for a beginner, as silk can be fiddly to work with. If you have made a skirt or two before and are looking for a new challenge however, please proceed with caution!
Fit information: this skirt is designed to sit approximately 1" below the natural waist with a hem just above the floor.
- Size 34 = 24.5 inch waist
- Size 36 = 26 inch waist
- Size 38 = 27.75 inch waist
- Size 40 = 29.25 inch waist
- Size 42 = 30.75 waist
- Size 44 = 32.5 inch waist
You can download pattern and instructions for the silk chiffon maxi skirt from here or on Craftsy or Burdastyle.